Ever wanted to know how to fix your own gears, or fit an inner tube?
At Chevin Cycles we are very proud of the maintenance advice that we give to our customers. So much so, that we have been delivering Cycle Maintenance Courses in our stores for the last 10 years. Our courses cater for everyone and are suitable for complete beginners right up to experienced cyclists. Whether you would like to know how to replace your inner tube, adjust your gears or bleed your hydraulic brakes we have a course that covers it! All of our courses are held within one of our store workshops and you will have access to all the latest tools and equipment that you might need. The courses are run by Cytech qualified mechanics and the format is informal and fun.
Basic Maintenance Course
The course is basic and aimed at people who are inexperienced in bike maintenance. It has been designed to run over 3 evenings. There is continuity from one session to the next and we are, therefore, only willing to take bookings from people wanting to attend all 3 sessions.
We expect that each session will last about 2 hours, but this could vary. The course is run by our senior mechanic. All sessions will include demonstrations and we will supply wheels etc for you to try the techniques out for yourself. You will not use your own bike to practice on the course. If you wish to come by bike, it can be stored inside while the course is in session.
If you wish to book all three evenings the cost will be £60. Start time is 6.30pm and venue is Chevin Cycles Otley.
First Evening - Wheels
- Understanding the anatomy of a bike and each components role.
- Removal of both front and the rear wheels.
- Removal and re-fitting of tyre and inner tube and repairing a puncture, with both glue and glue-less patches.
Second Evening - Gears
- Gear adjustment for both the front and rear derailleur to ensure correct indexing.
- How to repair a broken chain splitting and re-joining using both split links and chain pins.
- How to re-lace the chain through the derailleurs.
Third Evening - Brakes
- How to remove old and install new brake pads, both disc and caliper.
- How to adjust both a caliper and disc brake and balance pad alignment.
- How to maintain your bike, with tips on cleaning and lubricating components to ensure longevity.
- Pre-ride routine using the M Check system.
Each participant will receive the following upon completion of our Maintenance Courses.
- Certificate of achievement
- Exclusive store discount vouchers
- Maintenance goody bag